Re: chattr version/verbose options

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 11:12 AM Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you for adding the chattr/lsattr utilities to Cygwin base, I think they can come very handy.
>
> May I have a small suggestion, please:
>
> To use -V/--version (that lsattr does already) consistently for both, and -v/--verbose in chattr (and update the docs too).
>
> -V is conventionally used for the version reporting and -v is usually for verbose logging, so the current -V/--verbose and -v/--version pairs in chattr are a bit off, IMHO.

While I agree having the cases reversed from what is typical feels
"off", looking at the package doc, those look to be the package's
choices upstream of us, and so effectively out of our control.  Cygwin
strives to be as accurate to how things work in Linux as is reasonably
possible, and so making Cygwin specific changes to what any given
package uses for its cli options when not absolutely necessary would
go directly against that goal.

Such a request should be addressed to the upstream package maintainers.

-- Erik

--
"I do not think any of us are truly sane, Caleb. Not even you. Courage
is not sanity. Being willing to die for someone else is not sanity."

-- Alexandria Terri in "Weaving the Wyvern" by Alexis Desiree Thorne