sshd permits logon using disabled user?

I am running Windows 10 (1803) and experimenting with sshd installed as a
Windows service.

The computer is a domain member. I created a local computer account for
testing.

I created host keys and a public/private key pair to use to log on the user.

This works, except I notice that if I disable the Windows user account, I
can still log on using ssh using that account.

In the shell, logged on as the disabled user, the 'whoami' command returns
the name of the disabled user.

This seems unexpected and not good.

Why does sshd allow logon for a disabled user?

Thanks

Bill