Re: sshd permits logon using disabled user?

Bill,

On Jan 25 11:03, Bill Stewart wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 10:48 AM Stephen Paul Carrier
> <carrier@berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
> > There are different paths to access and to completely disable the account
> > you need to close all of them.  There are many reasons to disable some
> > paths without disabling all paths and converting the switch that can
> > disable one path to a switch that will disable all paths will break
> > some setups and be less flexible.  (As Stefan Baur is pointing out
> > effectively.)
> >
> > To disable ssh logins really, instead of changing the way Cygwin works
> > for everyone, you could do what UNIX/Linux admins do, something like
> > moving the user .ssh folder to .ssh.disabled.
>
> This is a very problematic view from a Windows system management perspective.
>
> I respectfully (and strongly) disagree, for at least the following reasons:
>
> * Cygwin runs on Windows, and as such should respect Windows security.
> It is very unexpected, from a Windows administration perspective, to
> have a disabled account and still be able to log onto it.
>
> * Proper system management/security mitigation is made quite complex
> with this requirement. Imagine even a small Windows domain: I have to
> scan 20000 machines in my domain to find out if they're running ssh,
> troll through the disks to find ssh config files, find out the key
> file names, rename them, etc. This is quite a bit harder to do than
> just disabling accounts, which in many organizations is handled by an
> automated process.

Can you please test again with the latest snapshot from
https://cygwin.com/snapshots/?  The new S4U authentication method
used in this snapshot automatically applies the Windows account rules so
in my testing the patch I applied originally is not required anymore.
Consequentially I disabled it to rely fully on the Windows function's
behaviour.  Can you test this, too, please, just to be sure?

Thanks,
Coinna

--
Corinna Vinschen