From: Boylan, Ross
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 11:15:47 AM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: ssh confused about home directory?

I recently installed cygwin on Win 10, both 64 bit.
When I run ssh in a cygwin shell it complains
             Could not create directory '/home/rdboylan/.ssh'.
The /home directory is empty--that is, it has no rdboylan subdirectory.
My home directory appears to be /cygdrive/c/Users/rdboylan; that is the value of $HOME and where I end up when I do cd.
As far as I can tell from the docs, having c:/Users/rdboylan as home is fine, but ssh doesn't seem to be respecting it.

/etc/nsswitch.conf has no uncommented lines and /etc/passwd does not exist (both being ways to define the home directory on cygwin according to the internet).

In a Windows Command Prompt %HOME% is C:\Users\rdboylan

What's the most appropriate way to fix this problem?

Thanks.
Ross