Re: ssh confused about home directory?

Am 19.02.2019 um 21:08 schrieb Andrey Repin:
Greetings, Boylan, Ross!

I recently installed cygwin on Win 10, both 64 bit.
When I run ssh in a cygwin shell it complains
              Could not create directory '/home/rdboylan/.ssh'.
The /home directory is empty--that is, it has no rdboylan subdirectory.
My home directory appears to be /cygdrive/c/Users/rdboylan; that is the
value of $HOME
This is the answer.
You rely on your shell being smart enough to pick environment variable as
operational directive, but SSH knows nothing about it and fails.

and where I end up when I do cd.
As far as I can tell from the docs, having c:/Users/rdboylan as home is
fine, but ssh doesn't seem to be respecting it.
/etc/nsswitch.conf has no uncommented lines and /etc/passwd does not exist
Which explains the failure.
But it does not excuse it. That's background information while the authoritative guide for users should be the manuals. The ssh manual refers to ~, without defining what that exactly means. The bash manual defines ~ to be equivalent with $HOME which also sometimes fails in bash. Documentation and behaviour is inconsistent, probably because in other POSIX systems, there are typically not so many variations in setting up $HOME, or ~, whichever...