Re: Cygwin 3.0.1-1 Breaks ALL cygwin applications on Windows 7 x64

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 at 13:00, Jerry Baker via cygwin <> wrote:

> On 2/26/2019 11:32 AM, Jerry Baker via cygwin wrote:
> > Yes, but by wiping out the whole tree and installing 64-bit. You filled
> > me with doubt, so I browsed around with a hex editor looking at quite a
> > few random executables and dll files in cygwin\bin and all of them I
> > checked are 64-bit.
>
> I just installed from scratch in a new directory. Same issue. Nothing runs.

Two things.
1. You can execute cygcheck by navigating to C:\cygwin or C:\cygwin64
in Explorer and opening a command or powershell window from explorer's
shift-context menu. There, run the following command:

.\cygcheck.exe -csr > ..\home\CYGWINUSERNAME\cygcheck.out

or similar.If this does not work, I would look for a anti-virus or
firewall that is interfering.

2. I don't recall you mentioning how you start cygwin. Please try both
standard methods: a) execute c:\cygwin64\Cygwin.bat and b) executing
the Cygwin icon that (by default) cygwin setup places on the desktop.

3. As an after thought, I always run cygwin with CYGWIN_NOWINPATH=1
set in my system environment variables. (From what I understand, I am
one of the few people that do this!) This resets the PATH variable in
the cygwin shell to only contain cygwin directories. If this resolves
the problem, you can edit your .bashrc to add any needed windows path.
For instance, I add the path to some go lang executables. And I set up
aliases or functions to run a few specific Windows exes, such as
Explorer, icacls, cmd, etc. If you want all the directories from your
windows path, they are available in the ORIGINAL_PATH variable, so you
can add all of them at the end of the PATH variable, so they do not
shadow same-named cygwin exes.

HTH
Doug

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - from gmail.com