Re: Cygwin 3.0.1-1 Breaks ALL cygwin applications on Windows 7 x64

On 2/26/2019 7:12 PM, Doug Henderson wrote:
There is one more place you could have a problem. It does not seem
likely, but maybe you have a bad download cache area.

When you run setup, on the fourth panel, where it asks for the Local
Package Directory, you could try deleting that directory. (It must not
be the same as your cygwin root from the previous panel).

The state of mirrors changes over time. Which mirror(s) are you using
(selected on the 6th panel)? I have successfully used
http://mirrors.kernel.org for many years. It's not so important to
pick a local mirror as it used to be, so I go for reliability (and fat
pipes), rather than distance to the mirror. (I have a little program
that times the download of the setup data file from each mirror.)

BTW, what is your DEP setting? Control Panel -> Advanced system
settings -> advanced tab -> Performance Settings -> Data Execution
Prevention tab. I am using the top setting (Turn on DEP for essential
Windows programs and services only) rather than (Turn on DEP for all
programs ad services except those I select). I'm not sure how Address
Space Layout Randomisation (ASLR) is managed on Windows 7, but I think
cygwin exes and dlls get special handling.

HTH
Doug

Thanks. I did try a couple of mirrors with the same result. I will try safe mode and a new mirror when the machine is accessible again.

The machine with the problem isn't accessible at the moment, but the machine where it works has DEP enabled for all programs.