Re: cygwin snapshots after 23, Feb. ocasionally destroys windows logon session

On Mar  5 00:28, Takashi Yano wrote:
> Hi Corinna,
>
> I encountered a problem with cygwin snapshots after 23, Feb.
> If I login to cygwin via ssh and logout from ssh session,
> explorer sometimes gets into erroneous state. Most of
> operations cannot be done on explorer.
>
> This does not happen in all environments, however,
> at least two of my machines are affected.
>
> * Windows 7 64bit machine with 32bit cygwin installed.
> * Windows 10 64bit machine with 32bit cygwin installed.
>
> To reproduce this, logon windows with a user and start
> cygwin. Then, repeat login and logout via cygwin ssh/sshd
> a few ten times with the user who logon to windows.
>
> I looked into this problem, and found the culprit.
>
> The following modification seems to cause this problem.

You sure?  If you revert that single patch, all is well even after
multiple ssh logon/logoff attempts?

> But I am not sure what is wrong with this code.

No, I don't get it either.

> Is this code really necessary?

It's probably not necessary, at least we hadn't had anything like that
before.  As you can see from commits 71b8777a7140, 8eee25241e86,
dd3730ed9c1c and bcb33dc4f055, the idea is to unload a user profile if
it's not used anymore.

I'm puzzled that calling UnloadUserProfile should actually unload a user
profile if it's still in use by the interactive session.  That sounds
like a bug in Windows to me, but what do I know?

I can revert this single patch, or I can revert the above patchset
trying to unload a user profile entirely, whatever makes more sense.

However, what makes most sense?!?

Thanks,
Corinna

--