Re: cygwin snapshots after 23, Feb. ocasionally destroys windows logon session

On Mar  4 17:06, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Mar  4 16:57, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Mar  5 00:28, Takashi Yano wrote:
> > > Hi Corinna,
> > >
> > > I encountered a problem with cygwin snapshots after 23, Feb.
> > > If I login to cygwin via ssh and logout from ssh session,
> > > explorer sometimes gets into erroneous state. Most of
> > > operations cannot be done on explorer.
> > > [...]
>
> FTR, I just reproduced it after the fifth logon/logoff in a row
> on W10 64 bit w/ 64 bit Cygwin.
>
> > > To reproduce this, logon windows with a user and start
> > > cygwin. Then, repeat login and logout via cygwin ssh/sshd
> > > a few ten times with the user who logon to windows.
> > > [...]
> > > Is this code really necessary?
> >
> > It's probably not necessary, at least we hadn't had anything like that
> > before.  As you can see from commits 71b8777a7140, 8eee25241e86,
> > dd3730ed9c1c and bcb33dc4f055, the idea is to unload a user profile if
> > it's not used anymore.
> >
> > I'm puzzled that calling UnloadUserProfile should actually unload a user
> > profile if it's still in use by the interactive session.  That sounds
> > like a bug in Windows to me, but what do I know?
> >
> > I can revert this single patch, or I can revert the above patchset
> > trying to unload a user profile entirely, whatever makes more sense.
> >
> > However, what makes most sense?!?

I reverted the entire patchset and uploaded new developer snapshots
to https://cygwin.com/snapshots/.

Incidentally, Microsoft's OpenSSH port calls LoadUserProfile, but it
never calls UnloadUserProfile.  I guess they know why.

It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Thanks,
Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen