Re: cygwin snapshots after 23, Feb. ocasionally destroys windows logon session

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 9:39 AM Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> I reverted the entire patchset and uploaded new developer snapshots
> to https://cygwin.com/snapshots/.
>
> Incidentally, Microsoft's OpenSSH port calls LoadUserProfile, but it
> never calls UnloadUserProfile.  I guess they know why.
>
> It seemed like a good idea at the time...

I remember back in the XP days there was a tool named "UPHClean" (
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/837115/). According to that
article:

"UPHClean monitors the computer while you log off, and then UPHClean
unloads and reconciles user profiles..."

Also in that article:

"Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 include the functionality of the
automatic detection and fix tool (UPHClean)..."

So if I had to guess:

* The core Windows "User Profile Service" (profsvc) automatically handles
profile unloading

* The Microsoft port of OpenSSH relies on this functionality instead of
calling UnloadUserProfile on its own

I could be wrong, of course (as I said, this is just guesswork on my part).

Bill