Re: Annoying error messages from setup

Hi Brian,

Brian Inglis wrote:
On 2019-03-06 17:57, Mark Geisert wrote:
Enrique Perez-Terron wrote:
For some time (several months), the setup program always finishes with the
following message:
Package: _/cygwin-doc
    cygwin-doc.sh exit code 3
Package: z/Perpetual
    zp_texlive_finish.dash exit code 20
Looking into setup.log.full, I find:
2019/03/06 22:39:56 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile
"/etc/postinstall/cygwin-doc.sh"
mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/User Guide (PDF).lnk" failed; does the target
directory exist?
mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/User Guide (HTML).lnk" failed; does the target
directory exist?
mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/API (PDF).lnk" failed; does the target directory exist?
mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/API (HTML).lnk" failed; does the target directory exist?
mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/Home Page.lnk" failed; does the target directory exist?
mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/FAQ.lnk" failed; does the target directory exist?
2019/03/06 22:39:57 abnormal exit: exit code=3
Where do the "/C:" parts in the middle of the link names come from?
Investigating, I find that mkshortcut is being called like this:
/usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/User Guide (PDF)" -d "Cygwin User Guide
PDF" -- /usr/share/doc/cygwin-doc/cygwin-ug-net.pdf
/usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/User Guide (HTML)" -d "Cygwin User Guide
HTML" -- /usr/share/doc/cygwin-doc/html/cygwin-ug-net/index.html
/usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/API (PDF)" -d "Cygwin API Reference PDF"
-- /usr/share/doc/cygwin-doc/cygwin-api.pdf
/usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/API (HTML)" -d "Cygwin API Reference
HTML" -- /usr/share/doc/cygwin-doc/html/cygwin-api/index.html
/usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/Home Page" -d "Cygwin Home Page Link" -a
https://cygwin.com/index.html -- /usr/bin/cygstart
/usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/FAQ" -d "Cygwin Frequently Asked
Questions Link" -a https://cygwin.com/faq.html -- /usr/bin/cygstart
There appears to be a bug in mkshortcut.
Could this be somehow related to my enabling native symbolic links?
(Not sure if this error began before I did that.)
I don't know where to find the source for mkshortcut, and not sure if
somebody else knows this program and can look into it. Should I report this
somewhere?
Consider it reported :-O.  'cygcheck -p mkshortcut' shows mkshortcut is part of
the cygutils package.  I'm the maintainer.  You aren't using zsh as your shell,
are you?  I ask because zsh apparently has its own mkshortcut.  Let me
experiment a little bit and try to reproduce your first issue.
Your second issue is something totally separate and I can't help with it.
The intent of the mkshortcut args -A --allusers from the $CYGWINFORALL setup env
var switches -P --smprograms from using $APPDATA to using $ALLUSERSPROFILE as
the prefix for -P .../Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs/ and -n Cygwin/...
creates or uses the relative Cygwin subfolder to store the shortcuts.
Could the existence of a C:/Cygwin/ root be confusing mkshortcut into using an
absolute Windows path instead of a path relative to .../Start Menu/Programs/?

Thanks for this plausible cause and your reminder re winsymlink. I played around a bit in both normal and elevated shells but could not reproduce the OP's issue. I'm waiting for the OP's cygcheck output to narrow down the Windows version, cygutils version, mount table, Cygwin root directory, and probably more that I'm not needing yet.

..mark