Re: Problems with "Hello, World!"

On 2019-03-19 15:31, Vesa P. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Cygwin works great for me in providing POSIX tools for Windows, but
> when I tried to to compile something of my own, I immediately ran into
> problems.
>
> Compiling my Hello World application didn't complain but when running
> it I didn't get any output. My compilation command was like this:
>    gcc -Wextra -Wall -o hello hello.c
> And my source code is below between "---" markers:
> ----------------------------------
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> int main() {
>   printf("Hello, World!\n");
>   return 0;
> }
> ----------------------------------
> I also tried by redirecting output, like "./hello > output.txt" but
> that created only an empty file, proving that my write permissions
> were sufficient, I suppose.
> Then I thought that maybe the problem is in connecting to stdout and I
> tried by direct file access:
> ---------------------------------
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> int main() {
>   FILE *of = fopen("./outfile.txt", "w");
>   if(of) {
>     fprintf(of, "Hello, World!\n");
>     fclose(of);
>   }
>   return 0;
> }
> ---------------------------------
> However, that didn't create the "outfile.txt" file.
>
> I did those experiments in a Windows 10 environment, I think it is
> Windows 10 Enterprise. I have installed Cygwin without administrator
> privileges, in 2018.
>
> A practical work-around has been to use MinGW for compilation.

Rather than describing what you did, copy and paste a shell transcript showing
the commands and output from you listing the source code, compiling and running
it, a long listing of the directory contents, then run

	"cygcheck -hrsv > cygcheck.out"

and attach the output as a text file to a post to this list, as explained below
under Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html.