Re: Corner-case bug in .exe handling?

On 2019-03-20 03:24, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Mar 19 18:02, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
>> Just came across this with 3.0.4 on both Win7 and Win10 1804:
>>
>> $ ls -1 /usr/bin/python2.7
>> /usr/bin/python2.7
>> $ ls -1 /usr/bin/python[2-9].[0-9]
>> /usr/bin/python3.5
>> /usr/bin/python3.6
>> /usr/bin/python3.7
>> /usr/bin/python3.8
>>
>> python2.7 is the actual .exe where python3.* are symlinks, but
>> shouldn't 2.7 still be included in the latter?
>
> No, even if that looks weird.  But think about what happens.  ls calls
> readddir.  readdir returns "python2.7.exe".  The matching is not done by
> Cygwin, but by the shell.  And python2.7.exe simply doesn't match
> "python[2-9].[0-9]".
>
> Nothing Cygwin can do about, unless we suppress the .exe suffix in
> readdir/realpath/readlink output just like we do with the ".lnk" suffix
> for the old winsymlink symlink style.

To also fix findutils and other glob interfaces, the filename with and without
the .exe suffix would have to be returned to support both:

	find /bin/ -name '*sh'

and

	find /bin/ -name 'sh.exe'

unless you wanted to globally disallow finding any file with suffix .exe and at
the same time restore the suffix in all cases where it is explicitly required?