Re: Corner-case bug in .exe handling?

On Mar 20 12:55, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2019-03-20 03:24, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Mar 19 18:02, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> >> Just came across this with 3.0.4 on both Win7 and Win10 1804:
> >>
> >> $ ls -1 /usr/bin/python2.7
> >> /usr/bin/python2.7
> >> $ ls -1 /usr/bin/python[2-9].[0-9]
> >> /usr/bin/python3.5
> >> /usr/bin/python3.6
> >> /usr/bin/python3.7
> >> /usr/bin/python3.8
> >>
> >> python2.7 is the actual .exe where python3.* are symlinks, but
> >> shouldn't 2.7 still be included in the latter?
> >
> > No, even if that looks weird.  But think about what happens.  ls calls
> > readddir.  readdir returns "python2.7.exe".  The matching is not done by
> > Cygwin, but by the shell.  And python2.7.exe simply doesn't match
> > "python[2-9].[0-9]".
> >
> > Nothing Cygwin can do about, unless we suppress the .exe suffix in
> > readdir/realpath/readlink output just like we do with the ".lnk" suffix
> > for the old winsymlink symlink style.
>
> To also fix findutils and other glob interfaces, the filename with and without
> the .exe suffix would have to be returned to support both:
>
> 	find /bin/ -name '*sh'
>
> and
>
> 	find /bin/ -name 'sh.exe'

Do you realize the implications?  Either every executable shows
up as two distinct files, or each executable has twice the number
of hardlinks.  Either way is bad for one scenario or the other.

> unless you wanted to globally disallow finding any file with suffix
> .exe and at the same time restore the suffix in all cases where it is
> explicitly required?

IMHO we don't change anything.  The current way of things isn't
ideal, but works more or less fine for a long time.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer