Dependancy Hell (was Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty 2.9.9)

On 2019-03-28 7:36 am, Steven Penny wrote:
On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 08:34:34, Thomas Wolff wrote:
Mintty can be used to run any command-line application directly (like top, your editor, ...), a shell is not needed.

That may be true, the by default Mintty is configure to load Bash. So it is disingenuous so simply say that it does not require a shell, unless you want to
change the default to load "top" as you said.

I think that part of the issue is that there is no clear definition of a dependancy. I encounter questionable dependancies all the time from Cygwin Setup. If I try to install the wrong thing, there is a whole ecosystem of packages that come with it that I don't want. I just don't install that thing I wanted and live without it or get it another way.

Likewise there are dependancies that are merely advisory and the package works just fine without it.

I think that a package should only be listed as a dependancy if the upstream package will not even run without it. Things like library packages. Even if it provides core functionality, if the main package will run, it's not a dependancy. Dependancy hell is one of the few things I don't like about Cygwin.

Thanks.