Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] python38 3.8.0-0.2.a3

On Fri, 2019-03-29 at 12:51 -0600, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2019-03-29 12:38, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> > > Should that be flagged as a test release?
> > > You said 3.7 will be the next default version.
> > As of a few weeks ago, each X.Y version of Python is parallel-
> > installable.
>
> So python3 will get upgrades, as will python38 and python37 for now, but what
> about python36 when python3 becomes python37?

python3 is now just a bunch of symlinks to the default 3.y versions
(currently 3.6).  Each of python35, python36, python37, and python38
should continue to get updates for the duration of their upstream
support (at least).  However, I am neither building, nor encouraging
others to build, most(*) modules for 3.5 (too old) or 3.8 (too new).

Eventually we will probably stop building most(*) modules for 3.6 too,
but not before the 3.7 transition is 100% complete, and more likely
just before or as part of the eventual 3.8 transition (in 2020 at the
earliest).

[1] setuptools, pip, wheel, and virtualenv are being built for *all*
versions, as they are pretty central to basic Python usage.

--
Yaakov