Re: Download setup-x86_64 issue

On 6/4/2019 2:00 PM, john doe wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to download the setup file to update cygwin using
powershell but it fails miserably:

PS > (new-object system.net.webclient).do
wnloadfile("https://www.cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe";, "$PWD/try.exe")
Exception calling "DownloadFile" with "2" argument(s): "The underlying
connecti
on was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send."
At line:1 char:47
+ (new-object system.net.webclient).downloadfile <<<<
("https://www.cygwin.com/
setup-x86_64.exe", "$PWD/try.exe")
     + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [],
MethodInvocationException
     + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException

It works for other URLs and would appriciate any input on the above.

I just download with a web browser.  Any reason you have
to do this programmatically instead?  Also, I know little
about PS, but it could be that it just doesn't approve of
this as a Microsoft-blessed kind of thing.  When I invoke
setup, I get popups about this not being from the Windows
Store, etc. -- simply plow on.

Also, a web search suggests that wget to PowerShell is
also fine.

And here's another tidbit from the web:

powershell -NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy unrestricted -Command (new-object System.Net.WebClient).Downloadfile('http://10.10.10.10:7000/iw4455.exe', 'C:\windows\temp\iw4455.exe')

Perhaps the ExecutionPolicy thing is relevant here?

Anyway, this question does not seem to be cygwin-specific, but
more about PS ...

Best wishes - EM