Re: setup.exe enhancement request, proceed on error after logging error to setup.log

On 2019-06-11 05:27, Keith Christian wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 2:03 AM Henning wrote:
>> On 10/06/2019 23:41, Keith Christian wrote:
>>> Would the maintainers (Achim?  Jon?) be willing to consider an option box
>>> log errors to the setup.log file and "Skip non-fatal errors and
>>> continue?"
>> either this, or a prompt asking if the user wants to continue or abort.
> And if this option is deemed worthy of implementation, add a command line
> option for those who skip the GUI.
I would think a xz file listed in setup.ini missing from a mirror would be
considered a fatal error. It could affect a dependency chain, and may not be the
only missing file. I would expect setup to quit, without installing anything, as
the only safe option, until the mirror is repaired, or another is selected.
How would we even know such an error had occurred without a dialogue box report?
I think in this case, the maintainers are striking the right balance.

In many years of using various Cygwin mirrors, I have never come across this
situation: this mirror process does not maintain a safe image for the downstream
users. Mirrors I have used over the years had issues with the setup arch
directories during updates, ensuring setup fails immediately, signalling to try
again later, after the mirror update is complete.