Re: Command line processing in dcrt0.cc does not match Microsoft parsing rules

Greetings, Stephen Provine!

> The standard rules for Microsoft command line processing are documented here:

>     https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/17w5ykft(v=vs.85)

> The Cygwin code for command line processing is in dcrt0.cc, function build_argv.

> The behaviors do not match. For instance, given a test.sh script like this:

>     #!/bin/bash
>     echo $1

> And the following invocation of bash.exe from a Windows command prompt:

>     bash.exe test.sh foo\"bar

> The result is:

>     foo\bar

> When the expected result is:

>     foo"bar

I would actually expect parsing error, but I guess, CMD gives you some slack.
Then, the expected result is either 'foo\"bar' or 'foo\bar', since in CMD, the
escape character is a caret (^).

> As a workaround, you can achieve the expected result using:

>     bash.exe test.sh "foo\"bar"

> Which is great until you use a language like Go to shell exec the command
> line, and don't have control over how the command line string is generated
> from an original set of arguments. See:

>     https://github.com/golang/go/blob/master/src/syscall/exec_windows.go#L86

> Go just reverses the Microsoft standard rules in the most efficient manner
> possible, but those command lines don't parse correctly in Cygwin processes.

> Go implements a pretty definitive command line parsing algorithm as a
> replacement for the CommandLineToArgv function in shell32.dll:

> https://github.com/golang/go/commit/39c8d2b7faed06b0e91a1ad7906231f53aab45d1

> The behavior here is based on a detailed analysis of what command line parsing "should" be in Windows:

>     http://daviddeley.com/autohotkey/parameters/parameters.htm#WINARGV

> It would be very nice if Cygwin followed the same procedure at startup.

> Thanks,
> Stephen

> --

With best regards,