Re: TeX Live 2019 / TikZ

On 2019-09-09 00:53, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Ken Brown writes:
>> I had a chance to take a quick look, and this is a known problem:
>
> Thanks, I hadn't found this for whatever reason.
>
>> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/473365/why-is-pgf-3-1-not-compatible-with-tex
>>
>> I suspect there's been a new release of PGF that fixes this.  I'll check on it
>> and release an appropriate update when I return home.
>
> It's been fixed here:
> https://github.com/pgf-tikz/pgf/issues/508

That was reverted as closed won't fix and they said - users *MUST NOT* have
*ANY* unnecessary spaces in the definitions of math functions, such as prior to
comments!

> But the main issue really is that TikZ/PGF need eTeX to work correctly
> (the fix above to work with plain TeX loses functionality).  Indeed, if
> I change the test in question to use etex, it passes.  I'll report that
> upstream as a bug in the test driver (it shouldn't assume that tex or
> latex really is an eTeX variant).

ε-Τeχ is now assumed as the default engine by all current formats and packages
except Plain Τeχ, and required for future development as it expands all fixed
register counts from 256 to 32K.

[There looks to be an opportunity for a gΤeχ that removes all arbitrary
limitations, probably imposed because of SAIL or Pascal limitations in original
implementations.]