assertion "p >= path" failed

Hi again,

Thanks for all the interesting detective work investigating my problem with ssh-agent. Let's hope it results in a fix.

I have another problem which is a bit harder to reproduce, but perhaps has a clearer signature. From time to time my PC gets into a state where no Cygwin command will start. They all exit with the message:

C:\>C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe
assertion "p >= path" failed: file "/home/corinna/src/cygwin/cygwin-3.0.7/cygwin-3.0.7-1.x86_64/src/newlib-cygwin/winsup/cygwin/path.cc", line 2916, function: int symlink_info::check(char*, const suffix_info*, fs_info&, path_conv_handle&)

It's the same result whatever Cygwin command is used and whatever directory I start from. Already-running commands still seem to work (eg. connecting to sshd gets as far as a password prompt), but they can't start anything new. Even if I exit/kill all Cygwin processes (including sshd service), it remains in this broken state. The only fix I have found is to reboot the machine. After that Cygwin works fine.

I'm not entirely sure what prompts the issue, but it seems to be associated with resuming from hibernation in a different location, perhaps after going from online to offline. I use Offline Files for my Cygwin HOME directory. I also sometimes get hangups with other programs, or even the Windows desktop, after resuming from hibernation, so this may be indicative of a more general problem. Cygwin's issue is the clearest example, so I'll start here.

Do you have any ideas how I can diagnose or fix this? I'm using 64-bit Cygwin 3.0.7-1.

Thanks,
Tim.