Manual update for get.*_r functions

Thorsten Kukuk kukuk@suse.de
Wed Jun 30 14:03:00 GMT 1999

On Wed, Jun 30, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Andreas Jaeger <aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de> writes:
>
> > I've checked POSIX and my understanding of POSIX is that the check for
> > NULL is necessary.
>
> POSIX says:
>
> 	If successful, the getpwuid_r() and getpwnam_r() functions shall
> 	return zero.  Otherwise, an error number shall be returned to
> 	indicate the error.
>

> I.e., the return value is != 0 in all error cases and no found entry
> is an error case.

No, no found entry is not an error case.

I don't have a copy of POSIX, but what I have read is, that the
pointer is NULL if there is an error or we couldn't find the entry.
All texts I have read about this mentions explicitly both cases.
And only if there is an error we return the error code. Not if
we doesn't found the entry.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk      http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/        kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH           Schanzaeckerstr. 10             90443 Nuernberg