rebuild -- on or off by default

Benjamin Kosnik bkoz@cygnus.com
Sat Apr 1 00:00:00 GMT 2000

> I have changed my local setup such that when EGCS builds the -v3 library,
> the -v3 library turns around and rebuilds libgcc.a, all automatically.
> The --enable-namespaces flag is on by default, and it all works beautifully.

This sounds good. I'd like to have this be the default for the next
snapshot. (The date for this has slipped, and I'd like to have the
config hackery finish, so...)

I'd really like to have --enable-namespaces on by default. Rebuilding
libgcc is a necessary evil. With the --relib stuff, it's not that painful.

Other people's opinions and experiences would be nice to hear

> Should this be checked in?  Currently we require the libstdc++-v3 sources
> to be underneath the EGCS sources, but we're still allowing the library to
> be built by itself.  This change would additionally require that the build
> directories also be merged, unless the user passes --disable-libgcc-rebuild.
> Users who just want to get the library by itself couldn't just do 'configure
> && make install' anymore.  :-(

but they could do configure --disable-libgcc-rebuild --disable-namespaces
&& make install, right?

can you clarify "build directories also be merged"

See what everybody else says, but I say check it in later tonight if you
haven't heard strong arguments against it. You've given all of us
sufficent warning of pending changes.

-benjamin

ps thanx for the mkcheck change, been thinking of doing that for months...