how to build for solaris 8?

Benjamin Kosnik bkoz@cygnus.com
Sat Apr 1 00:00:00 GMT 2000

> On the second disk I have installed linux/sparc redhat 6.1 and yet even
> fail to build gcc 2.95.2..
> Anyone with experience on that platform??

Nope. No experience with solaris2.8 either, but it seems to be working
for you except for the very end...

> ranlib .libs/libstdc++.a
> rm -fr ../math/.libs/libmath.alx ../libio/.libs/libio.alx ../math/.libs/libmath.alx ../libio/.libs/libio.alx
> creating libstdc++.la
> (cd .libs && rm -f libstdc++.la && ln -s ../libstdc++.la libstdc++.la)
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/export/home/bruno/gcc-2.95.2/bld-libstdc++/src'
> make[2]: Entering directory `/export/home/bruno/gcc-2.95.2/bld-libstdc++'
> if test "../.." != "no"; then \
> (cd "../../gcc" && \
>  if test -f libgcc2.ready ; then \
>    rm -f libgcc2.ready libgcc.a libgcc2.a ; \
>    make libgcc2.a TARGET_LIBGCC2_CFLAGS='-fhonor-std' ; \
>    make libgcc.a ; \
>  else \
>    echo '**  There does not appear to be a previously-built' ; \
>    echo '**  library here.  Please see README.html for instructions.'; \
>    exit 1 ; \
>  fi \
> ) \
> fi
> **  There does not appear to be a previously-built
> **  library here.  Please see README.html for instructions.

I believe that you are just trying to make the library, correct? I'm
really interested in your feedback on this because the build/install
procedures have changed so much in the last month.

Perhaps we need more explicit configure information on the install page.

I suppose the message should read:

**  There does not appear to be a previously-built
**  library here.  Please see
**  http://sourceware.cygnus.com/libstdc++/install.html
**  And in particular, the
**  "Building and Installing the library (without GCC sources)" parts

I sususpect that this particular part of the install docs should just be
eliminated though, as it looks like it is causing confusion.

Configure information should be added--I just noticed that configuring is
not discussed. Whoops!

Here's the deal:

1) if you are enabling namespaces, you'll need to configure the entire
gcc directory, not just libstdc++. This will enable the build directory
to have both gcc and libstdc++ directories, and thus libgcc.a can be rebuild.
cd (blddir)
(gccsrcdir)/configure --prefix=(installdir)

2) If you don't care about this, and want to just rebuild the library,
you can configure in just libstdc++ but you must pass in
--disable-namespaces --disable-libgcc-rebuild on the configure line, like so:

cd (blddir)
(gccsrcdir)/libstdc++/configure --disable-namespaces
--disable-libgcc-rebuild --prefix=(installdir)

hope this helps,
benjamin