NEW vim 5.7 package uploaded to sourceware

Chris Faylor cgf@cygnus.com
Tue Jul 4 21:05:00 GMT 2000

On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 10:43:44AM +0200, Michael Ring wrote:
>I have uploaded a new version of vim-5.7 to sourceware
>
>The files can be found under:
>
>/pub/cygwin/private/cygwin-editors-824
>
>and are named
>
> vim-5.7-1-src.tar.gz
> vim-5.7-1.tar.gz
>
>This new version fixes the following problems:
>
>patch file changed so that it is directly usable with the original vim
>sources
>/bin/vi.exe is now identical to /usr/bin/vim.exe (both are now the
>enhanced version of vim)

I just looked for these files and found that they had apparently been
moved to the latest directory.  I didn't see any announcement about
this.

I have moved the the files back to the private directory since I have a
couple of minor problems with them.

- It still has symbolic links in the executable directory.  These
  will not work from the Windows command line and could lead to
  confusion.  These should be *hard links*.

- The file bin/vi.exe is not a *hard link* to vim.exe.  It seems to
  be just a separate copy.  It should be a hard link as I have previously
  suggested.

By "hard link" I mean use the command 'ln vim.exe vi.exe', etc.  A hard
link will work properly on an NTFS drive and will result in a copy of
the file on other types of drives.  Hopefully you are using a drive
which supports hard links if you are building natively.

The symbolic links in /usr/man are ok, IMO, since they will be accessed
by cygwin programs.  They won't work correctly on a samba drive but
that's something that the user will have to deal with.

I would strongly suggest that you write some kind of simple shell script
to fix these kinds of things up, making it as general as possible.  Then
run the shell script every time you do a release.  You could look for
symbolic links in the bin directory and translate them to hard links or
modify the vim configure/Makefile to default to hard links under Cygwin.

Since vim-5.7-1.tar.gz existed in sourceware/latest for a little while,
please name the next version with these fixes vim-5.7-2.tar.gz.  Please
also send an announcement to cygwin-announce.

You can use Corinna's last announcement as an example.  It would be best
if you waited for files to show up on a mirror before sending an
announcement.  That allows people to refer to a mirror to grab the tar
ball which offloads sources.redhat.com

I'm sorry to be so picky but my goal with is to minimize the number of
user complaints with our first release of vim.  Putting symbolic links
in /bin is, IMO, asking for trouble.

Thanks,
cgf