Bash 2.04 and Earnies patch

Chris Faylor cgf@cygnus.com
Sat May 13 21:55:00 GMT 2000

On Sat, May 13, 2000 at 10:38:16PM -0500, tbisp@uswest.net wrote:
>  Installed those patches, tested and all seems to be working
>fine. For the record, the following files are now able to ignore
>carriage returns:
>  /etc/profile  ~/.bashrc  ~/.profile  ~/.bash_profile  ~/.bash_login
>  ~/.bash_logout
>Also the files pointed to by the environment variables ENV and
>BASH_ENV.
>
>The file ~/.inputrc should still be ok since about Bash 2.03, as there
>is code in there to ignore carriage returns that preceed line feeds. I
>just hope that carriage returns can not follow a line feed as that
>would probably slip through.
>
>The only file that I can see being a problem would be ~/.history which
>is opened in O_BINARY mode for both reads and writes, so there should
>be no carriage returns in that file at all. As I believe this is an
>internal file for use by Bash only, I do not see any problems with
>this file.
>
>Also, I noticed that both __CYGWIN__ and __CYGWIN32__ are being
>tested. Which is the newer version and which is the version that was
>deprecated? I no longer remember which Geoffrey said would be going
>away. I was thinking of merging them all to the newer definition
>before sending the patch in to Chet.
>
>Your thoughts on any or all of this???

I don't have any strong feelings about .history.  It seems safest that it
should be written as binary and read as text, though.  This seems safest
for any file that bash manipulates, in fact.

__CYGWIN32__ has been deprecated for almost two years.  I don't think
there is any further reason to use it, although it is probably still
in several places even "our" own source code.

Btw, I'm Cc'ing the cygwin-apps mailing list.  This email was specifically
set up for discussions about this kind of thing and I would appreciate it
if you would subscribe to it and use it for all future communications
about bash.

Thanks,
cgf