su in sh-utils

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Mon Apr 16 14:33:00 GMT 2001

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 11:21:57PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 04:20:24PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> I am thinking of adding an "su" shell script in sh-utils which
>> says something like to stderr:
>>
>> su: This command is currently not supported in a Cygwin environment.
>>
>> and does an "exit 1"
>>
>> Does this make sense or are we close to a fully functional su?
>
>It's not too far away... but the above is an excellent simulation
>in the meantime.

I don't know if you saw the recent thread in cygwin but, as it turns
out, I didn't remove su.exe on purpose.  The install for su in
the sh-utils Makefile doesn't allow for the installation of su
unless you are running as root, which I don't do when making a
net release of course.

So, the answers that Larry and I have been giving are not 100% precise...

cgf