[RFA] pei386 dll: auto-import patch

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Thu Aug 2 15:16:00 GMT 2001

DJ Delorie wrote:

>>Okay, new binaries and source tarball (plus the patch, ChangeLog, TODO
>>list, etc) are at:
>>
>> http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/robert-collins/latest/binutils/
>>

> +         /* If we haven't found very symbol, let's look for its
> +            import thunk */
>
> Might want to check the text of this - found very symbol?

Corrected grammar.

> Otherwise, approved.  Please run a "make check" for gas/ld/binutils (cygwin+linux
> preferred) before and after applying, to make sure it doesn't break
> anything subtle.  Thanks!

Okay, make check (gas/ld/binutils) in linux, before and after -->
    identical results
make check (gas/ld/binutils) in cygwin, before and after -->
    identical results

However, test results on cygwin are NOT the same as on linux (more
failures on cygwin).  See attached test result summaries.  I don't think
this discrepancy should hold up inclusion of this patch -- this patch
doesn't WORSEN current behavior.  The test results just indicate that
there's still some work to do w.r.t. cygwin (some are obvious "errors"
in the test script -- like only checking for "filename" and not
"filename + .exe")

> Also don't forget to change the dates in the ChangeLog ;-)

Done. Changelog split into two files: Changelog-bfd should go in
bfd/ChangeLog, Changelog-ld should go in ld/ChangeLog

>>   make data_import_dll static?
>>     No, used in both pe.em and pe-dll.c
>>     I suppose we could rename it pe_data_import_dll.
>>

> If you wish to rename it, consider that approved as well.

data_import_dll renamed to pe_data_import_dll.

>>   Ralf's bug report.  My intuition sez this is
>>     related to the data_import_dll thing.
>>     http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2001-06/msg00742.html
>>

> This can be addressed separately after the current patch is committed,
> but please do not forget about it once this patch is in!

Right.

Attached files:

Changelog-bfd
Changelog-ld
test-results.tar.gz contains:
   linux-test-nopatch
   linux-test-withpatch
   cygwin-test-nopatch
   cygwin-test-withpatch
auto-import-20010802.patch

I don't have commit priveleges; somebody else is going to have to check
this in.  Commit message should probably say something about both
auto-import for DATA items in DLLs and improved auto-EXport.  If anybody
cares about such things.

--Chuck