perl, second shot (was: Re: first shot perl)

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Tue Aug 21 14:43:00 GMT 2001

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> Charles Wilson schrieb am 2001-08-21, 12:11:
>

>>>Oops, seems to be a problem with the timestamp-trick. The last build was
>>>with multiplicity. Thats the reason why the tarball is so big...
>>>I build with multiplicity because i got a lot of more errors during tests
>>>without it.
>>>

>>What sort of errors?  In the past we were able to get 100 percent
>>compliance with test suite and did NOT have to build with multiplicity.
>>

> Yes I think it does make no difference. I would prefer to build with, if
> it is not a problem with win98?

I don't know -- I don't have a Win9x system to test it on.  However, I
*do* know this: if a user has already installed extensions for the
current perl, they will NOT carry over to a multiplicity perl.  The pm
files often go in site_perl/5.6.1/cygwin/  -- but now they are searched
for in (and new ones will go into) site_perl/5.6.1/cygwin-multi/...

I'm not sure how much of an inconvenience this is.  The perl
module-installation procedure -- which was in flux "recently" --
sometimes modifies files that are part of the main perl dist.

If you install modules, and then re-install perl (even the same cygwin
perl package) using setup, the files that were modified by module
installations will get clobbered.  So, given the current "system" --
which probably needs some work -- end users may need to reinstall all of
their custom modules REGARDLESS of whether your new perl is built with
multiplicity or not.

This is a maintainer judgement call.  I'm willing to defer to you. :-)

> WITH ntsec-harness i got these errors, i wonder why groups.t failed with
> ntsec in this previous build and failed not without ntsec.
> Also dubious is the pragma/strict error.
> One build before that i got a pragma/warnings error instead of pragma/strict.
>
> Failed Test      Status Wstat Total Fail  Failed  List of Failed
> lib/glob-basic.t	               9    1  11.11%  8
> op/groups.t     	               2    1  50.00%  1
> pragma/strict.t 	              93    1   1.08%  21
> 8 tests and 94 subtests skipped.
> Failed 3/275 test scripts, 98.91% okay. 3/12830 subtests failed, 99.98% okay.
>
> After that i patched into groups.t, but it changes nothing.

Strange.  I'm willing to go ahead with this one, if it means having a
more proactive maintainer who's not MIA.  3 subtest failures
notwithstanding.  But eventually these should be investigated and squashed.

Have you been able to reproduce any of the binmode/textmode problems
that folks have reported, or verify that they no longer exist?  (Just
asking; I don't think it's worth holding up this release on that issue
alone.  Again, I'd rather move forward -- those bugs if they still exist
can be corrected in the next one)

--Chuck