whois package

Gerrit P. Haase freeweb@nyckelpiga.de
Fri Dec 7 15:16:00 GMT 2001

Hallo Mark,

2001-12-07 18:05:12, du schriebst:

> Going back to dig and host, I'm guessing that the maintainer would need to
> actually be a maintainer for the whole bind package?  Am I right in assuming
> that having bind as a cygwin package would provide libresolv functionality,
> or would more be required.

No just the resolver is needed to build the tools, I can query every NS so the
named isn't required and I think my 'native' Windows DNS Server is much faster.

> BTW, I can get bind 9.2 to compile with some modification....

Great.  But there are some problems here.
If bind installs in /usr there are some files which collide, netdb.h, sys/cdefs.h,
arpa/inet.h.
A possibility to resolve this would be a split into runtime and devel version,
or the headers needs to be merged which is the better choice IMO.

On the other hand, the best would be to have a libresolv included with the C lib
or resolver functions in cygwin itself so bind isn't needed.

Gerrit
--
convey Information Systems GmbH                   http://www.convey.de/
                                                  Vitalisstraße 326-328