ask for delivering kde 1.1.2

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Wed Jun 20 13:39:00 GMT 2001

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 01:39:50PM +0200, Ralf Habacker wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I think some of you you have already noticed, that the socket problem in
>relating to kde 1.1.2 was found and that Egor has send me a patch for this.
>
>I have applied this patch and it seems to work. Thank egor for providing
>this.
>
>But now I have a question concerning the pending kde beta release. How do I
>distribute this patched cygwin. Do we 1) should build an building an
>experimental version of cygwin (perhaps a modified 1.3.2-1 release) and to
>distribute it with the cygwin setup or 2) should this be integrated in the
>next regular cygwin release ?
>
>For 2) I think there is additional work needed to make this release stable,
>as I recognized several problem with the recent cvs version (yesterday)
>
>1. libc uses a symbol _cygwin_istext_for_stdio, which was not exported by
>cygwin (cygwin.din)

You SHOULD NOT be linking with a libc.a build in newlib.  This file is not
intended to be used by applications.  You should never include -lc on
your command line.

>2. I can't debug kde apps. On starting the app in the debugger an unexpected
>exception ocurres.
>   This does't happens in cygwin 1.3.2.-1.

Either your cygwin or your program is suspect if you have linked it with a
libc.a from newlib.  Otherwise, report where the "unexpected exception occurs".
How would you expect anyone to fix a problem if you don't report details?

>3. I have created scripts for short calling windows apps in the background
>like
>   /usr/local/bin/vc:
>      # call visual c++
>      /cygdrive/c/programme..../msvc.exe `cygpath -aw $1` &
>
>   The "sending in background" doesn't work.
>
>   In cygwin 1.3.2-1 I have called
>
>        vc xyz.c
>
>   with this snapshot I have to call
>
>       vc xyz.c &
>
>   for the first time.

I'm sorry but I don't know what "sending in the background" means.  Are you
saying that the `cygpath ...` doesn't work?  Or are you saying that typing
"vc xyz.c" doesn't work?  If not WHAT IS THE ERROR?  PLEASE!  Think about this
as if we are not inside your mind or peering over your shoulder while you type.

If you can't provide details then we can't fix the problem.  It's that simple.

cgf