patches to vendor source trees - discussion

Robert Collins robert.collins@itdomain.com.au
Sun Nov 11 15:02:00 GMT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gareth Pearce" <tilps@hotmail.com>
> having pristine tarball and patch + other things ... for every package
> in one directory ... seems way too much file crowding... Personal
opinion is
> that file crowding is a Lot worse then directory crowding.

The thing I've been protesting all along is the directory structure. The
point being that its non-trivial to grab a couple of packages and
rearrange to suit the user.

having the pristine source + 1 patch + the extracted dir means it is
easy and obvious what the user has to do to move the source elsewhere.

Secondly, IMO setup.exe should _ask_ where the source should go, not
extract into /usr/src. The rpm way, at this point, becomes a hinderance.
(How many CYGWIN directories do you want hanging around?).

Rob