-src package standard: proposal #5 and #5a

Robert Collins robert.collins@itdomain.com.au
Wed Nov 14 13:35:00 GMT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul G." <pgarceau@qwest.net>

> Now, to the issue at hand:
>
> Complete Source?
>
> Finally, for those who don't care about dependencies, and typically
> download "All" the source, there is added a new category
defined/called
> "Cygwin -- Complete Source" (for lack of a better description).

This is a good point, one I hadn't considered. Added to the wishlist.

However:
IMO setup.exe as a installer/bootstrapper should not manage source code
trees
- download yes
- install/build/update no.

I think I've been consistent about this :}. I think that there should be
tools for the users to apply to the downloaded source, and that they
should be able to use setup.exe as a batch tool to grab source.

The rpm BuildReq and deb Build-depends tags are identical afaict - they
specify what _binary_ packages are needed to build a given source
package.

i.e. to build curl+ssl one needs (in a fully split up package world),
libcygwin-dev, libssl-dev. And they in turn depend on libcygwin and
libssl.

I like the concepts you've outlined, but I think it's much better to
leverage the existing batch style tools for either rpm or debs that
provide the same capabilities. Which means either convert those tools to
work with cygwin packages, or get setup to work with those tools :}.

Sigh.

Rob