GCC-3 additions

Robert Collins robert.collins@itdomain.com.au
Sat Oct 13 21:03:00 GMT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Faylor" <cgf@redhat.com>
To: <cygwin-apps@cygwin.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2001 1:28 PM
Subject: Re: GCC-3 additions

> >2) How important is fastcall calling convention to cygwin apps.  I
have
> >been working with Eric Kohl on a patchset that he is keen to get into
mingw
> >binaries. ReactOS project needs them for building MS-compat device
drivers.
> > They involve changes in binutils (as, dlltool, ld) as well as gcc.
These
> >are still WIP
>
> I'd like to have fastcall conventions.  I think it is necessary if we
want
> gcc to be a replacement for MSVC.

Also a requirement to build many low level things with gcc - and if/when
we get more 'mounting' capability, a logical extension to that is the
ability to provide _real_ win32 mounting - and that will require
fastcall AFAIK.

> Out of curiousity, how does fastcall differ from attribute ((regparm
(n)))?

AFAIK it's simply the symbol convention in the object file that is the
issue.

Rob