GCC-3 additions - related question

Danny Smith danny_r_smith_2001@yahoo.co.nz
Mon Oct 15 13:26:00 GMT 2001

> Another reservation was the observation in earlier gccs that using
> templates bloats the size of the executable/dll drastically.  Is that
> still true?
>
> Corinna

If you talking about bringing in STL and templated iostreams, yes.
If you are talling about simple template classes that get used over and
over, the size overhead is not a big problem.   Also, when building libs as
dlls, this forces closure of template classes so that duplicate instances
are merged.

The only way to find out is to try it. (Yeah, right, I'll whip that up
right away, boss)

I haven't tested 3.x with templates that much.

Danny

Danny

http://briefcase.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Briefcase
- Manage your files online.