curl, libcurl, libcomprex, leakbug (was:Re: Packaging cURL for cygwin distribution ???)

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Wed Oct 17 18:53:00 GMT 2001

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 03:06:23PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>
>>Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>>
>>>'dllwrap' is an older tool the makes it easier, now gcc supports the
>>>-shared option it works without dllwrap, too.
>>>There is more about this way in the cygin-user-guide.
>>>
>>cygwin-user-guide is way out of date on this subject.
>>

> This is one of the reasons for my frequent requests for help in the
> documentation department.
>
> The pattern is that I ask for help, someone volunteers, I say "Great!" and
> then the person disappears.
>
> So, any volunteers?

Sigh.  I will try to work something up that modernizes this section, but
it's gonna take a while.  Short version:

drop all references to dlltool / dllwrap  (except to say "in the distant
past, before 'gcc -shared' worked, there were two helper programs.
They're still around, but are no longer recommended for new projects/new
ports.")

Address both the "old" way:  __declspec(dll*port), gcc -D*STATIC, gcc
-static, gcc -shared (which strangely are NOT opposites.  -static means
"link the target (whatever it is) using static dependent libraries",
-shared means "the target is a dll")  etc.

"new" way: auto-import.  address some of the surprises that may occur.

--Chuck