.libs issue with cURL

Gerrit P. Haase gp@familiehaase.de
Thu Oct 18 23:52:00 GMT 2001

Roth, Kevin P. schrieb am 2001-10-18, 17:38:

>Thanks for the help so far. I've run into another roadblock;
>I sent this to the cURL list, but haven't had any response in
>a couple days, so I thought I'd see if someone on this list
>has any ideas.
>
>After the suggestion to add "AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL", I have no
>problem doing a clean './configure' and 'make' of cURL.
>I end up with a libtool(?) shell script where I had been
>finding the compiled curl.exe (src/curl.exe), and I now have
>a src/.libs/curl.exe (along with cygcurl-2.dll). This is good...
>(in this example I was using a build directory of
> /usr/src/curl/BUILD, but the problem also occurs without
> a BUILD directory.)
>
>HOWEVER, when I go to do a 'make install' (or, as in this example,
>a 'make install prefix=/tmp/curl-build/usr', although both gave
>the same error), I see the following:
>
>/*********
>  Making install in src
>  make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/curl/BUILD/src'
>  /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc -g -O2 -o curl.exe main.o \
>      hugehelp.o urlglob.o writeout.o ../lib/libcurl.la -lssl -lcrypto
>  gcc -g -O2 -o .libs/curl.exe main.o hugehelp.o urlglob.o \
>      writeout.o .libs/libimp-cygcurl-2.a -lssl -lcrypto
>  creating curl.exe
>  make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/curl/BUILD/src'
>  /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc -g -O2 -o curl.exe main.o \
>      hugehelp.o urlglob.o writeout.o ../lib/libcurl.la -lssl -lcrypto
>  gcc -g -O2 -o .libs/curl.exe main.o hugehelp.o urlglob.o \
>      writeout.o .libs/libimp-cygcurl-2.a -lssl -lcrypto
>  creating curl.exe
>  /bin/sh ../../mkinstalldirs /tmp/curl-build/usr/bin
>  /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install \
>      -c curl.exe /tmp/curl-build/usr/bin/curl.exe
>  /usr/bin/install -c curl.exe /tmp/curl-build/usr/bin/curl.exe
>  /usr/bin/install: cannot stat `curl.exe': No such file or directory
>  make[2]: *** [install-binPROGRAMS] Error 1
>  make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/curl/BUILD/src'
>  make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
>  make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/curl/BUILD/src'
>  make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
>\*********
>
>IF I manually copy src/.libs/curl.exe to src/curl.exe, and then try
>my make install command again, it skips the re-link steps, and just
>successfully performs the install and moves on.
>
>This seems to be related to the fact that libtool has decided to dump my
>curl.exe file in src/.libs/curl.exe, instead of putting it in the usual
>place of src/curl.exe. However, since this problem lies in the
>auto-generated part of the Makefile, I have no idea how one would go about
>fixing it properly for future iterations...
>
>Any suggestions?

That are the problems with the current lobtool, I get it too, but not always.
I believe I've read s.th. about this at the website of libtool (hosted at gnu).
The objects will always be rebuilt because of this fact.  One can set the
DEPS and OBJ dir to another location, but it is always the same problem.

Maybe you can use the 'heavily' patched libtool from Chucks site?
ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/pc/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Wilson_Charles_S/robert-collins/contrib/libtool/

It seems to be s.th. like a 'bug'? Have you also asked the libtool folks?

Gerrit

--
=^..^=