[ANN] updated: apache-1.3.24-1

Corinna Vinschen cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
Mon Apr 15 08:05:00 GMT 2002

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 04:39:11PM +0200, Stipe Tolj wrote:
> Hi Gerrit
>
> > Another 'bug':
> > The Apache manual includes information about running Apache as a
> > service.  If i try to do it like it is described there I get an
> > error:
> >
> > $ cygrunsrv -I apache -d "Cygwin apache" -p /usr/sbin/httpd -u Apache -w password
> >
> > $ cygrunsrv -S apache
> > cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1062:
> > Der Dienst wurde nicht gestartet.
> >
> > In Eventlog:
> > Blah:apache : Win32 Process Id = 0x18A : Cygwin Process Id = 0x18A : `apache' service started.
> > Blub:apache : Win32 Process Id = 0x18A : Cygwin Process Id = 0x18A : `apache' service stopped.
> >
> > Also a short hint how to install it as a service in
> > the /usr/doc/Cygwin/apache-xxx.README would be nice.
>
> you try to start httpd with a user called "Apache". If "Apache" has no
> win32 system token set, then he's unable to change to the httpd
> runtime user that is defined in /etc/apache/httpd.conf.
>
> This is my guess. Could you check what user has been specified in
> httpd.conf.

Gerrit,

I think Stipe is right here.  The latest changes I asked him for
should allow to start apache as SYSTEM and to change the user
context according to the "User" and "Group" settings in the
/etc/apache/httpd.conf file as on U*X systems.

Try starting apache as SYSTEM and set the user in the conf file.

Red Hat, Inc.