setup changes to build standalone

Robert Collins robert.collins@itdomain.com.au
Thu Apr 25 22:11:00 GMT 2002

Thanks.

> >>I wonder if we need a "mingw-libs" package.
> >>

> > Yes, please, please, yes. I would really really love it if
> some of the
> > common libs (zlib, bz2lib, stdc++) where available in a setup.exe
> > installable pacakge.
>

> Yes, I like this too -- but I'm nervous about it growing ridiculously
> large.  What if (eventually) setup.ini turns into XML?  Do we put a
> mingw build of libxml into 'mingw-libs'?  How far does this go?
> (visions of full{mingw}.exe)

glib + foo + bar + ...

If this sort of expansion were to occur, I'd suggest we take the
split-setup option and have a bootstrapping setup that is essentially
what we have today, but is only run once - ever. Then after that a
maintenance setup that is able to use cygwin linked tools.

> OTOH, we've already discussed (and discarded, thank g-d) the idea of
> (for instance) the zlib maintainer providing both a
> cygwin-setup-installable zlib package (/usr/bin/cygz.dll,
> /usr/lib/libz.[dll|a]) and a cygwin-setup-installable
> mingw-zlib package
> (/usr/bin/mgwz.dll, /usr/lib/mingw/libz.[dll|a]).  Ditto
> bzip2, libxml,
> ...  we are not a mingw-porting factory.

Agreed.

> whatever happened to the idea of an official cygwin package, that
> contained a true cygwin-host, mingw-target cross compiler?  Didn't
> somebody or other volunteer to provide that?

I recall Danny talking about a gcc v 3.1 for April, but I'm not sure if
he meant as a cygwin package or as something else...

> > It really depends on what you want to do. Some stuff it does
> > spectalularly well, some things it has trouble with. With the 'cross
> > compiling but not' approach, it would almost certainly have
> some trouble
> > :}.
>
> see above, true cross compiler...

Yup. In fact gcc -mno-cygwin is close enough that automake won't be
confused... as long as it's told --host= :}.

Rob