Seeking cygdaemon maintainers...

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Sat Dec 7 18:05:00 GMT 2002

> So - anyone know the current status of the cygdaemon?  the thing that's
> intended to replace the cygipc library?  I'd like especially if the thing
> didn't require the cygwin dll itself

Never happen.  the cygwin-daemon is and will be strongly coupled to the
cygwin DLL.  (even if it weren't, tho, it is still released under the
cygwin/GPL license, "viral" components and all.)

>  and or any of the registry keys
> (mounts) to work... should be able to quickly deploy it on any system
> without a great deal of effort... the cygipc library would have been this,

Nope.  The cygipc library as written uses cygwin calls.  Therefore, it
requires the cygwin DLL.  Sure, the underlying IPC semantics are native
windows, but cygipc uses cygwin code to help wrap the MSWIN ipc stuff
into a POSIX-style interface.

Thus, cygipc is ALSO strongly coupled to the cygwin DLL.

> but I found that it's implementation of SYSV message queues to be somewhat
> flawed...

True.  patches welcome -- but contributions to cygwin-daemon will
probably have a longer lifespan.

--Chuck