mysql server out of the list

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Mon Jan 21 13:18:00 GMT 2002

Sinisa Milivojevic wrote:

> We are now preparing new mysqlc.exe with latest cygwin, for which I
> heard that it can be built statically.

Nope, not true.

> Next, 99.99 %  of our Windows users download just binaries. Those do
> not include even our source code. Should they include CygWin source
> code ?? Why ?? What would 99.99 % of Windoze users, completely
> illiterate with C / C++ do with that source code ??

It doesn't have to be bundled in the same download.  If you provide the
cygwin DLL, then just ALSO put a tarball of the sources TO THAT VERSION
of the DLL on your website, and a link that says "click here for the
sources to the cygwin dll".

That's it.

(Of course, if your executable is linked to the cygwin DLL, then you
must provide the sources to your executable regardless of whether you
distribute the cygwin DLL itself.  But you already do that, so you're
okay there.

--Chuck