gcc v3 issue -- hacky solution

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Mon Jan 21 20:27:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 02:28:12PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:

>===

There's a library -- it's libstdc++.a.

>but the no-exceptions clause won't fly without some convincing.

How about, you can't do that unless you come up with some way of
ensuring that there is a mingw version of libstdc++ available?

The code in the sources.redhat.com:/cvs/src repository is supposed to be
self-hosting.  You should be able to build it with nothing but a native
C compiler/linker.  We can't just say "You have to have the right
library available."

That seems like a pretty steep hill to me.

Or, maybe we move the cinstall directory out of the winsup hierarchy
and into cygwin-apps.  Then we can make our own rules.

Please don't get me wrong.  It would actually make my life much easier
if we could somehow create a mingw version of libstdc++.a (I'm getting
carpal tunnel from typing that so much...).  The reason I'm bringing
this up now is that I'm getting internal "This isn't building" email
about some of the things in winsup/utils.  This wouldn't be an issue
at all if we had a mingw version of libstdc+...  Ow!

DJ is checking on possibly building... that library... as a multilib.
I don't know how successful this will be however.

cgf