Need a teTeX-beta maintainer

Nicholas Wourms nwourms@netscape.net
Tue Jul 2 11:02:00 GMT 2002

>>It makes some kind of sense.  But I already made another vague promise
>>(netpbm) that I haven't kept until now.
>>

>>This moring after reading Christopher's mail, I downloaded tetex-beta
>>and latest sources to see if I could painlessly take over.  I spent a
>>good hour poking around, but I found that:
>>
>>  * tetex isn't prepared for --srcdir builds (annoying)
>>  * tetex isn't prepared for cross builds (showstopper)
>>  * Jerome's Cygwin fixes have still not found their way upstream
>>  * Jerome's Cygwin patch isn't prepared for --srcdir builds
>>

>>So...  I'll promise to take a look at it, because I really like to
>>have a good tetex package in Cygwin.  But, I can't promise to take it
>>over yet, as I don't run Windows (and thus also no cygwin).

Perhaps, if you have a copy of windows kicking around, you might try
VMware?  I've even heard rumors that someone got it running under Wine.

>>If I can get the beast to cross build, and get it tested, I may step
>>forward to be the maintainer.

Thanks for all your hard work!  Your points are all well put, so I
completely understand where you are coming from.  *Sigh*  If only
updating teTeX modules were as easy as updating a perl module...

>>Btw: I've been putting quite some time in getting a fine guile release
>>     to cross build for Cygwin, because this has a high priority for
>>     me.  But as yet I can't get a shared version linked.  It seems I
>>     need the latest autotools from cygwin, but I need them as cross
>>     build tools.

Pretty much all of Chuck's updates to libtool have been pushed upstream
starting about a week or two ago.  I believe the same can be said for
the other autotools.  You'll probably want to get the new gettext/iconv
as well.  I'd reccommend getting HEAD CVS sources of libtool and
autoconf, plus the automake-1.6.2 releases.

Cheers,
Nicholas