ITP: Guile 1.5.6

Jan Nieuwenhuizen janneke@gnu.org
Sat Jul 6 04:43:00 GMT 2002

Nicholas Wourms <nwourms@netscape.net> writes:

>> You're actually *developing* on Windows?  Amazing.
> Yes, developing under Cygwin is a pleasure, a far cry from using
> command.com.  It is almost to the point of being transparent from a
> linux developer's perspective.  As we speak, I am currently running
> OpenBox on X11 in another window, in which I am looking at your
> package through an rxvt terminal.  Cygwin isn't just a dll anymore,
> it's becoming a full-fledged OS now.  Heck, it even has a /proc and
> /dev! The point is that I prefer to think I am developing inside
> Cygwin, not Windows...  There is a difference.

Sure, Cygwin is great, and gets better all the time.  If there's no
alternative and you must use Windows, Cygwin makes life bearable
(email without a mouse!).  At least, that was my experience, some
three years, and I'm still very impressed by the progress Cygwin
makes.

Otoh, any 'reasons' for not replacing Windows by Linux get less valid
all the time too.  And using Windows (even when mostly seen through
Cygwin), just 'feels' a bit awkward to me; it's as if Microsoft is in
control of your pc, instead of you.  You're still stuck with the
irritating unconfigurable, unprogrammable Window's window manager,
hopeless Windows' device access/control (keyboard, mouse, disks,
printer), endless CRLF issues with Windows programs, and you have to
cope with Windows all-gui administration stuff.  How do you manage?
Maybe I'm just spoiled.

Some of these things may even get fixed before too long, if the window
manager can be replaced, explorer can be dropped, and there's rootless
X, and a Cygwin Emacs... dreaming on ... and learning native Windows
programs about Cygwin paths and real cut and paste, by using some DLLs
from WINE.  Did I miss any obvious important or impossible wishes?

> Ok, but this is *NOT* what the readme says.  It tells people to run
> the script.

Hmm, yes.  I've changed the readme text a bit, and included a native
Cygwin script.  In -2 it still had a silly bug, but that's fixed for
the upcoming (and hopefully to be released) -3.

Greetings,
Jan.