Ghostscript packaging for X11, non-X11 versions

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Sat Jul 6 15:00:00 GMT 2002

Dario Alcocer wrote:

>>For X:
>>   prefix = /usr/X11R6
>>   sysconfdir = /etc
>>
>>   CFLAGS="${MY_CFLAGS}" LDFLAGS="${MY_LDFLAGS}" \
>>   ${srcdir}/configure \
>>   --srcdir=${srcdir} --prefix=${prefix} \
>>   --exec-prefix=${prefix} --sysconfdir=${sysconfdir} \
>>   --libdir=${prefix}/lib --includedir=${prefix}/include \
>>   --libexecdir='${sbindir}' --localstatedir=/var \
>>   --datadir='/usr/share'
>>

> Hmm, does 'mandir' derive from 'datadir'?  If so, then I think
> this is the same layout as I describe below.

I'm not sure.  sometimes there's a specific mandir variable.

> I can see the scripts being duplicated, since native scripts should call
> the native gs.exe, and the X11 gs.exe should have its own wrapper scripts
> which call the X11 version of gs.exe.  (In other words, /usr/bin/ps2pdf
> should call /usr/bin/gs, while /usr/X11R6/bin/ps2pdf should call
> /usr/X11R6/bin/gs.)
>
> On the other hand, the Ghostscript manual pages themselves make no
> distinction between X11 and native builds, so my preference would be to
> install manual pages only in /usr/share/man.  The only reason I think
> manual pages should be installed into /usr/X11R6/man is if they are X11
> specific manual pages, i.e. document only X11-specific behavior or
> functionality.

I was "assuming" that the man pages were munged so that the X-configured
ones and the "normal" ones were different (*probably* untree -- but very
very safe)

> This way, anything under /usr/X11R6 (whether it be binaries or
> documentation) can be assumed to be specific to X11 only.  To install
> non-X11 manual pages in /usr/X11R6/man seems confusing, at least to
> me ;-)

Well, you're the maintainer -- so you get to keep track of whether the
X- vs. nonX- man pages are identical.

As Chris pointed out, we currently do not install man pages into
/usr/share/man -- even tho that's the new LSB.  I don't see the problem
with gradually transitioning over to putting them there, tho -- except
for one thing:

we need a MANPATH munger to add /usr/share/man to the search path (see
/etc/profile.d/openssl.sh).  But not EVERY package needs to do it -- or
we'll end up with a MANPATH that looks like
   /usr/local/man:/usr/X11R6/man:/usr/man:/usr/ssl/man

followed by 800 copies of :/usr/share/man:

Maybe an update of the man package itself?

--Chuck