mknetrel for president

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 8 07:39:00 GMT 2002

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

>>> * setting up the cross building environment.
>>>
>>There should be little, if any cross build environment to set up.  You
>>either have the cross compilers or you don't.
>>

>>I don't know what you mean by "cross build environment".  If you want
>>to build on linux you have to build a compiler and a linker.
>>

> Ok, but for Cygwin that used to be quite hairy and tricky at times.
> It's easy to find yourself having a cross compiler that doesn't work.
> A set of simple instructions, preferrably also documented in a script,
> that configure, build and install these for you can be a great help?

I'll reiterate Chris' comment, here: one tool, one job.   Perhaps the
"let's make a cross build env" part could be a *separate* script, that
USES mknetrel.

That way, mknetrel is focused on *building packages* -- for cygwin.  It
could have a few tiny hooks in it, so that when called appropriately by
the "cygwin-cross-env-builder" script, it will make a ????-host,
cygwin-target version of any given package.  (You still want to use
mknetrel to do the actual building, to ensure that the build options (in
mknetrel/extra) are the same as the native version of the specified
package).

--Chuck