libiconv

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Wed Jul 10 19:15:00 GMT 2002

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> I just realized that it was pretty easy to check.  I just have to look at
> the build logs.  Nope.  No -liconv.  After "all that trouble" to install
> it, gcc only randomly detected it in certain directories.

I haven't looked at the gcc-3.1.1 source tree, but I know that gcc does
weird things with autoconf (e.g. top-level configure.in is NOT an input
to autoconf...).  Anyway, my point: the "real" gettext.m4 from
gettext-0.11.2 seems to have the appropriate code in it to check for
both -lintl and -liconv if appropriate.

Does gcc-3.1.1 use aclocal.m4/gettext.m4 to find gettext, or some
homebrew stuff?

> I don't think I'll make this a priority for the testing releases but I'll
> see if I can tweak something for the real release.

That's reasonable.

--Chuck