standard build script (method 2)

Lapo Luchini lapo@lapo.it
Fri Jul 12 15:20:00 GMT 2002

>> Uhm..dunno what I was thinking when I pressed the "send" button, I
>> meant to send the following code:
>>
>> strip() {
>> (cd ${instdir} && \
>> find . -name "*.dll" -or -name "*.exe" | xargs strip > /dev/null 2>&1 )
>> }
>
> Yes, this would work just fine.  But I'm confused as to why there's so
> much discussion about "fixing" something that works.  "Efficiency?"
> We've all just wasted 27 times as much time just writing these emails
> as this would EVER save...

No no, my initial point was not that it saved something, it was that I
didn't know the newline to be a good separator and I did think that
stopping on the DLLs only because there aren't to test seemed wrong to
me. (I'd rather consider an error a problem in stripping and not the
normal absence of a file... just that)

>> Doesn't seems "right" to me that the (sometimes normal) absence of
>> DLLs should stop the thing.
>> You could of course reply that scripts are meant to be adapted to the
>> package...
>
> You misunderstand.  The current code continues, and will strip .exe's
> even if there are no .dll's.  The initial proposed change would break
> the current (good) behavior.

Well... so there's a problem as the code actually exited with a 123 error.
Which I can reproduce writing the line that tries to strip the DLLs.

And I *thought* it was newline's fault, but now you said me that's a
fine separator... but I wonder why the script gave problems to me then...

> You can do whatever you want in your buildscript -- it is totally
> user-customizable.  I just don't feel like messing with a working
> example in pursuit of (possibly illusory) "efficiency" goals...all to
> save 0.2 seconds per build.

That was not the point, it was just a (positive) side effect.
The point was that I had problem with the script stopping after build,
and I identified it stopped just on the DLL line.
Don't know why, if the newline is just like a ;

--
Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
lapo@lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)