libtoolize and glib-1.2.10 [Was: [ITP] libungif-4.1.0-1]

Nicholas Wourms nwourms@netscape.net
Sun Jul 14 07:22:00 GMT 2002

Charles Wilson wrote:

> Lapo Luchini wrote:
>
>>> BTW, you can also relibtoolize glib (and probably gtk) in a similar
>>> way.
>>

>> Uhm.. I had no problem relibtoolizing libungif, but I indeed have
>> problems with glib:
>> ltconf part of confgiure says:
>>
>> checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
>> checking if package supports dlls... no
>> checking whether to build shared libraries... no
>> checking whether to build static libraries... yes
>>
>> Probably I still miss some point in libtoolize usage (btw: is it
>> normal that executing it just after an "aclocal" it stilla says to
>> regenerate an updated .m4 using aclocal?)...
>

> Yes, that is normal.
>
>> do you have any hint to get things going?
>

> Check configure.in:  if it says "AC_PREREQ(2.13) or older, then it
> gets tricky -- usually it is easier to change that to AC_PREREQ(2.52),
> and then make the appropriate changes so that configure.in becomes
> compatible with the newer autoconr.
>
> Nicholas says that it is easier to (a) change AC_PREREQ to 2.52, and
> then run 'autoupdate'; I tend to do it all by hand.
>
> By updating to the newer autocof, you also trigger using the new
> libtool which more cleanly support DLLs on windows.
>
> --Chuck

A) FWICT, he isn't running autoheader/automake/autoconf, which means
configure is not being regenrated.

B)He could try adding AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL right before AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
in configure.in, which should tell configure that building dlls is "OK".
 However, I will note that the end result is "undefined symbol
Win@Main16" %50 of the time.

C)Can you help him by referring him to the best documentation for the
whole process?  I would try, but I learned mostly from trial and error.
 (A howto for cygwin really should be written...).

D)As I have told you on countless occasions, I use autoupdate to get me
started.  I then 'diff -u configure.in~ configure.in' to see what it
changed.  After evaluating what it changed, I will then go in and hand
edit/revert anything  else.  This method works quite well in that
 autoupdate 99% of the time does all the busywork for me,  leaving it to
me to fix up any special cases or macros.

Cheers,
Nicholas

P.S. - Lapo: using ":" and ";" in the recipient headers of e-mails is
frowned upon and certainly is not rfc compliant.  As such, I have had to
manually edit all of your cc:'s because yahoo doesn't like it.  Can you
please change this?  Thank you :-)