[ITP] libungif-4.1.0-2

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 16 09:22:00 GMT 2002

Lapo Luchini wrote:

>> What is the issue with the patch size anyway?
>> Even a 900K patch will shrink massively when bz2'd, and the user doesn't
>> have to look at the content of the patch.
>>

> It's not the size, it' a question of readability... for me, as a sample
> user, I would strongly prefer to know "ahhh.. all it is needed is to
> relibtoolize it!"

Followed immediately by a flurry of questions on the list "how do I
relibtoolize" -- not everybody knows how to do this.

> instead of "urgh, it needs applying 900kb of patches!!!".
> Of course this could be otherwise solved with some comments in the
> libungif.README... but usually I prefer a "self documenting process"
> that a "obscure process plus oducmentation".
> I see the need to hame 3 packages installed minor ni respect of the

Actually, it's more like 9 packages (10, now).  the -devel versions of
the autotools require the wrappers, and the wrappers require the -stable
AND -devel versions.  That's 9.  Then there's the new libltdl3 package.

> uncleariness of having a gigantic patch.
>
> But that's me, and if everybody else thinks the other way is better I
> have no problems in doing ni the gigantic-patch mode.

Give in...strike down the small patch with all your anger, and your
journey to the dark side will be complete...

--Chuck